Fireside Chats Instructions
After you have registered for a Fireside Chat....
All registrants receive instructions via email immediately upon registration, One day prior and again two hours prior to the Fireside Chat.
- Fireside chat participants join in via BOTH TELEPHONE AND INTERNET (BOTH required)
- Keep the instructions available during the fireside chat to help you.
- Remember to check your Time Zone (see section 3 )
1. Toll Free Teleconference:
The Teleconference # for each Fireside Chat, is provided to Fireside Chat registrants via the confirmation and reminder emails.
(NOTE: audio via telephone, ensures that ALL participants can join in.)
- TO HEAR THE PRESENTATION/DISCUSSIONS and join in the discussions.
- 12:45 PM Eastern time - conference call open for participants to join in.
- Tech assistance available at this time re: accessing the PowerPoint Presentation
Join in by 12:55 PM Eastern Time at the latest.
Teleconference line unclear?
- Simply hang up and call back in again
- We will be muting all participants lines for the presentations.
- We may open all participants lines for question/comments/discussions
Help eliminate background noise/distractions:
- When the lines are open for discussions - dial *6 to mute/unmute your telephone line
- Those with speaker phones may have a mute function on their own phone - thank you for using it!
- Please do not breathe into the phone if the lines are open. Keep your telephone handset away from your mouth/nose. (It distracts from the discussions)
To SEE the PowerPoint presentation - (NO AUDIO via the Internet)
You not only get to see the powerpoint presentations (shown from presenter's computer)....you get to post questions, comments etc, thus networking with your colleagues from across Canada.
A. Access/download/print the BACKUP PowerPoint PRESENTATION:
www.chnet-works.ca, click on Fireside Chats and click on Presentations
B. AND Join in the 'Bridgit' internet conference -
Requires high speed internet access
Some firewalls will block access: e.g. Health Canada, PHAC
(see 'B' re: Trouble shooting)
The Bridgit conference is opened on the morning of the Fireside Chat
a. Go to www2.distance.uottawa.ca
b. Click on "Bridgit"
(Windows or Mac - per your type of computer)
c. Choose ‘run’ (this will take 1-2 minutes)
(If prompted the server name is www2.distance.uottawa.ca )
d. Select ‘CHNET-Works! Fireside Chat' from the list of conferences
When prompted, enter YOUR name (e.g. Normand Breton)
e. Click 'join meeting'
(Do NOT set up audio feature)
f. You should now be in the 'chat' -
You will see the Presentation controlled by U of Ottawa computers.
g. Please introduce yourself using the Text Chat feature
(The far right icon on the 'Bridgit' tool bar: person in blue shirt):
Please enter your Name, Location, Organization
C. TROUBLE SHOOTING:
Difficulties accessing/maintaining Bridgit Internet conference connection
per firewalls or low speed internet access:
Use the 'back up' PowerPoint presentation.(2-A - above)
Note to your computer tech support (2-3 days prior to the Fireside Chat)
If port 80 is blocked on your network, the alternate port is 9033
D. Posting Questions/Comments during the Fireside Chat:
Bridgit internet conference tool bar: click on the participant's icon
(far right on the tool bar)
3. Time Zone Information - 1:00 PM Eastern Time is:
2:30 PM - NFL Time
2:00 PM - Atlantic Time
12:00 PM - Central time
11:00 AM - Mountain Time
10:00 AM - Pacific Time
NOTE: Saskatchewan: Central Time (November to March); Mountain Time (March – November)
4. Recording Notice:
- Pending permission from the 'Advisor(s) on Tap'we will be digitally recording the 'chat'.
- We intend to use the recording for possible future podcasts or presentations.
- Sorry - we cannot provide copies of recordings per individual requests.
5. Need more help?
If you have read and used these directions, and are still having difficulties...
- We recommend: 1-2 DAYS prior to the Fireside Chat, get assistance;from your technical support
- Re: Firewalls on your network: If port 80 is blocked on your network, the alternate port is 9033
6. Your Feedback Please
- Please fill in the on line Feedback Form. This will help guide future Fireside Chats.
- Go to www.chnet-works.ca and click on Fireside Chats.
- The online Feedback Form is in the drop-down menu.
7. Accessing the PowerPoint Presentations AFTER the Fireside Chat:
Our thanks to the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long Term Care for their support in providing the toll free telephone conferences for all Fireside Chats.