#468 Communicating for change as a component of strategic communications in public health Talking about how where we live, work and play affects health
Public awareness of and support for the social determinants of health (SDH) can be a key driver for policy change to improve everyday living conditions and promote more equitable distribution of power and resources for health. Over the past few years there has been a concerted effort by a range of organizations to develop effective communication tools and resources which reflect the realities of the local context that will engage Canadians on the concepts of the SDH and health equity. Communicators within public health agencies have a unique role to play to effectively convey the relationship between the socioeconomic environment and health both internally and with external stakeholders.
This webinar will explore:
- public perception of the social determinants of health in the Canadian context
- the relationship between public opinion and policy change
- principles to improve communications on the social determinants of health
- integrating key principles of SDH and health equity into strategic communications
- principles to develop messages that consider the complexity and value-laden characteristics of these concepts
This webinar is for communicators with responsibility for strategic and health communications in public health organizations.
Advisors on Tap:
Knowledge Translation Specialist
With the support of the Ontario Association of Public Health Communicators
- National Collaborating Centre for Determinants of Health & Canadian Public Health Association. (2014). Communicating the social determinants of health: Income inequality and health. Antigonish, NS & Ottawa, ON: Author http://nccdh.ca/resources/entry/income-inequality-and-health
- National Collaborating Centre for Determinants of Health. (2014). Glossary of essential health equity terms. Antigonish, NS: National Collaborating Centre for Determinants of Health, St. Francis Xavier University. http://nccdh.ca/resources/entry/english-glossary-of-essential-health-equity-terms
- Canadian Council on the Social Determinants of Health. (2013). Communicating the social determinants of health guidelines for common messaging. Ottawa, ON: Canadian Council on the Social Determinants of Health. http://nccdh.ca/resources/entry/communicating-the-social-determinants-of-health-common-messaging-guidelines